Friday, September 06, 2013

Small ways of expressing love


Unlike every day, it was moderately non-newsy day. Only a mysterious death of a senior citizen was reported from south Delhi’s Greater Kailash. He was charred to death after fire engulfed in two-room rented accommodation on the third floor in a posh bungalow.

I was at ease and relaxed as I have to visit only one place to gather information. I also dropped the plan to meet various police officials and sources to get 'exclusive' stories. I planned so firstly because it was sunny, hot and humid day and secondly it was last working day before weekly off.

After visiting the crime spot and meeting various people, I turned towards my office a bit early. Usually, I reach my office by 5 pm but I left from the Greater Kailash for my office at around 3: 20 pm. I placed head phone inside the ears, tuned to radio playing latest bollywood songs and their jockey's nonsensical and rubbish chit-chat and I drove towards my office.

A soon I reach Jhandewalan extension, a commercial place adjoining Jhandewalan temple, an ancient temple dedicated to Maa Aadi Shakti, I witnessed a man carrying his three-old-son on his back and walking down.

I stopped my bike a few metres ahead from the man at a pan shop, outside the children cycle and toy market, to buy a pack of cigarette. I saw him coming towards the shop. Drenched in sweat, he kept his cool despite his son was on his back.

This strongly built man was not aged more than 35 years. Wearing a white-shade shirt and a formal light-grey colour pant and slippers, he was walking and occasionally turns back to answer few queries of his son.

Seeing a Peepal tree, his son removed his right hand from his father's shoulder and tried to catch a leaf. Unable to catch, he tried again but with no success. The man first smiled seeing his son's failed attempt to catch hold a leaf. He caught hold of his son’s tiny hands and brought him in front of himself. He then balanced his leg on his shoulders, caught him with his both hands, and asked him to catch the leaf. 

His son easily caught the leaf with his hands but when he was tear it, the man asked not to do so. He advised that it was religious tree and and a living thing and no one has right to cut is or broke it. Confused son, left the leaf from his hands' grip and sat on his father's shoulder. The man smiled towards his son and started giving him simple answers to his son's queries. He again put him on his back and started walking, laughing and chatting with him. He then turned towards a small lane in the concrete jungle of commercial buildings and was no more visible.

While they left, I had fished smoking a cigarette. I turned towards a tea vendor nearby and asked him to make a cup of tea with less sugar.  I sat down on the elevated two feet boundary wall and started observing things surrounding me.  By the time, he gave a cup of tea, I saw people coming and going out from four-wheelers with their sons and daughters. They walked down towards the national capital’s famous children cycle and toy market.

I sat over there for almost half an hour and I was surprised to know that I did not notice a single parent holding their kid in their arms. Their son or daughter were either carried by their servants or were travelling in pramps. They all were in hurry to return home after buying bags full of toys or children bicycle. I found few of them complaining about hot weather and scolding their kids for taking them out for buying toys.

I finished my tea and went towards my office, which a few buildings away. While I was driving I was wondering about man’s way of caring and loving his son by carrying him on shoulder and walking down on city roads. It gave me utmost satisfaction and happiness to see father's love for his son.

3 comments:

  1. Something very minute and apparently invisible has been noticed and written about very descriptively - a trait common to some of the most gifted writers that I have had the intellectual pleasure of noticing in whatever I've ever read.

    The contrast between circumstances - their seeming negativity and positiveness - and the dichotomy between a life that everyone wants and that which they are actually living, comes out beautifully.

    The irony is well laid-out and makes this a very good and refreshing read.

    Keep up the good work, bhaiyya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the writer's observation of things he was surrounded with.... the humor on radio Jockey's was just perfect....Well written and described copy.... Liked it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really a touchy and deep observation of the writer about which the exceptional people think. While reading the article from the begging to the end every line attracts to read the next.

    Well written with --------------keep continuing my one of the best friends ever, with best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete